Friday, October 29, 2010

Fabric Flowers

As part of my quilt for the Brown Bag Quilt Contest, I am making fabric flowers. So, I thought I would tell you how to make them. They are very simple and can be used to decorate quilts, clothing, headbands, purses, anything that needs some sprucing up.

Supplies needed:
fabric strip cut 3" x width of fabric
needle and thread
scissors

Fold fabric in half, wrong sides together. Start at one end and do a running stitch down the width of the fabric on the open side.



When you get to the end, do not tie it off. Gently begin to pull the thread so that your fabric gathers. It will begin to curl, like the picture below.

The tighter you pull the thread, the smaller your flower will be. Using your needle and thread that are still attached to the flower, begin tacking the back of the flower so that each ruffle stays together in the shape of a flower. (I hope that makes sense to you). Here is my finished flower.


You can sew this to a cloth headband, attach a pin to the back to put on your shirt or purse, attach a barrette to the back for your little girl, or whatever you feel needs a new look. As mentioned before, I am going to use mine on the quilt I am making. It is going to be a wall hanging with about 5 of these flowers in a vase.
Hope you have fun making these flowers! They are VERY addictive!

4 comments:

  1. Hi.. Thank you for tutorial.

    Val (Brasil)

    www.crieartezzanato.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen many tutorials for fabric flowers but I really like the look of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tutorial. Im going to give these a go. Thanks!x




    www.pootleflumpsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is going to be beautiful I can see already.

    Love those flowers!

    ReplyDelete